by Abraham Lincoln
I remember rain hitting our tin roof;
And how windows rattled in the winter.
Shaking the grates filled the pan with ashes,
And made the stove pipe glow a cherry red.
I remember wind howling through window cracks
And powdered snow flying by, bending dry grass low.
How quick my feet got cold walking to the store.
And 1, 2 or 3 pairs of socks didn’t make my toes any warmer.
I remember coal slack, and how my mother worried;
Because slack could explode and send hot cinders everywhere.
She warned me many times; never cover the bed with coal slack,
Unless you want to burn the house down.
I remember how my fingers froze
Wearing cotton gloves to school;
The girls wore mittens and their fingers never froze.
Boys never wore mittens to school.
Boys wore Long Johns with a buttoned flap;
Girls wore long underwear with a slit in back.
Of course us boys never saw them on the girls,
But boys with sisters said they do.
And their flap was just a slit
That opened when they sat down.
Now that sounded pretty good to me,
If they had hole in front to pee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lost
Rain on the skylight. Pitter-patter. Not cold enough for snow or ice but nice to hear the rain. Read the story. I used to draw a lot. ...
-
Rain on the skylight. Pitter-patter. Not cold enough for snow or ice but nice to hear the rain. Read the story. I used to draw a lot. ...
-
On Iwo Jima I came across this Japanese Pillbox not far from Mt Suribachi. All of the men once in it died defending this place and now it ...
-
In the summer when it is hot and muggy, the animals try to stay cool by dozing in any spot of shade they happen to find. This little rabb...
Like me you remember of you childhood.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful writting, Abe.
I think it is all I have left are memories of how it used to be. And that is a good thing.
Delete